Awards and Recognition
- National Bioscience Award for Career Development, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India,
2014 [a coveted honor conferred annually by the Indian Government upon select Indian bio-scientists of
less than 45 years of age for unique contributions made in the frontier areas of biological sciences.]
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, Government of
India, 2013 (website: http://ssbprize.gov.in/) Citation: “outstanding contributions encompassing theory and experiments to
significantly expand our understanding of cell functionality modulation on engineered biomaterials
using electric field stimulation.”
- Materials Research Society of India (MRSI) Medal, 2011.
- P K Kelkar Fellowship (outstanding young faculty), Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur,
- NASI-SCOPUS Young Scientist Award for the meritorious contributions in the field of Engineering
Sciences, Elsevier partnered with National Academy of Sciences, India, 2010 [Award given to active
researchers of 40 years or below for the Nature and uniqueness of research, Outcomes of research,
Impact on society, Vision of the researcher and Quality and number of publications].
- ‘Metallurgist of the Year’ for significant contributions in the area of ceramics and
biomaterials, including development of WC-ZrO2 nanoceramic composities, Ministry of Steels, Government
of India, 2010 [awarded every year to outstanding Indian scientist of age 55 years or below and Dr.
Basu is the youngest ever to receive at the age of 37].
- Robert L. Coble Award for Young Scholars, American Ceramic Society, 2008. (Only Indian scientist so
far from India and second Asian scientist to receive this highest honour for any Young Ceramics
Scientist of 35 year of age or below).
- ‘Young Scientist’ Award of Indian National Science Academy (INSA), 2005.
- ‘Young Engineer’ award, Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), 2004.
- ‘Young Metallurgist’ Award, Ministry of Steels and Mines, Government of India, 2004.
- ‘Young Scientist Award (R. L. Thakur Memorial Award)–2003’ by Indian Ceramics Society.
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (To be inducted on March 20, 2017 at National Academy of Sciences, Washington DC)
- FNAE - Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering [INAE - only Engineering Academy of India,
FNAc - Fellow, National Academy of Sciences India, 2013 .
FBAO - Fellow, Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs, 2014). [only 2-3 scientists elected as Fellows every four
FWAST - Fellow, West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology, 2014
Mentoring institutions/R & D Labs
Research Council Member, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology
(SCTIMST), Trivandrum, India, 2015-2018.
Research Council Member, Defence Materials & Stores R&D Establishment (DMSRDE), [DRDO,
Ministry of Defence, Government of India], Kanpur, India, 2015-2018.
Advisory group member, Center for Healthcare Science and Technology, Indian Institute of
Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur, Howrah, India.