Last Updated: March 15, 2014
Default faculty mailing address: Materials
Research Centre, Indian Institute of Science(IISc),
Bangalore - 560012, INDIA.
Phone: Country code-91; Bangalore city
code 80 from abroad and 080 from India.
Dr. Bikramjit Basu is currently a Professor at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Bikramjit obtained his undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, both in Metallurgical Engineering from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Durgapur and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 1995 and 1997, respectively. He earned his PhD in Ceramics at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium in March, 2001. He returned to India to join IIT Kanpur in November 2001 as Assistant Professor after a brief post-doctoral research experience at University of California, Santa Barbara, USA. He joined IISc, Bangalore on 12th May, 2011. Dr. Basu has authored/co-authored more than 150 peer-reviewed research papers with twenty papers in Journal of American Ceramic Society. He edited a book on Biomaterials (2008) published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. and authored two textbooks as first author in each case - one on Structural Ceramics (2011) and the other on Tribology (2011) to be published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. in collaboration with American Ceramic Society.
In recognition of his contributions to the field of Ceramic Science and Biomaterials Science, Dr. Basu received noteworthy awards from the Indian Ceramic Society (2003), Indian National Academy of Engineering (2004), the Indian National Science Academy (2005), Metallurgist of the year award (2010), instituted by Ministry of Steels, Government of India and lately, NASI - SCOPUS Young Scientist Award, 2010 by Elsevier partnered with the National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI). He is the first and only Indian from India, till todate, to receive the prestigious Coble Award for Young Scholars (highest recognition for any young ceramicist around the world of age 35 or below) from the American Ceramic Society in 2008.
Awards and Recognitions
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in Engineering Sciences, 2013.
- Materials Research Society of India (MRSI) Medal, 2011.
- P K Kelkar Fellowship (outstanding young faculty), Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, 2009-2012.
- NASI-SCOPUS YOUNG SCIENTIST AWARD, Engineering Sciences, Elsevier partnered with National Academy of Sciences (NASI), India, 2010.
'Metallurgist of the Year' Award by Ministry of Steels, Government of India, 2010.
- Robert L. Coble Award for Young Scholars, American Ceramic Society, 2008. (First Indian scientist from India and second Asian scientist to receive this highest honour for any Young Ceramics Scientist of 35 year of age or below).
- Distinguished Overseas Guest Lecturer, TUBITAK, National Science Foundation, Turkey, July 2008 - to deliver invited lectures at several Universities in Turkey).
- 'Young Scientist Award' of Indian National Science Academy (INSA), 2005.
- 'Young Associate' of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), 2013.
- 'Young Metallurgist Award' by Ministry of Steels and Mines, Govt. of India, 2004.
- 'Young Scientist Award (R. L. Thakur Memorial Award)-2003' by Indian Ceramics Society.
- Delivered the prestigious ASET Colloquium at Tata Institute for Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai in January, 2012.
- Member, Project Advisory Committee/review panel, Development of Glass & Ceramic Technology, Technology Development Programme, Department of Science and Technology, Government on India, 2011-Present
- Member, Technology Vision - 2035: Materials and Manufacturing, TIFAC, DST, Government of India, 2011.
- Biomaterials for hard tissue replacement applications
- External field assisted cell-biomaterial interaction
- Spark Plasma Sintering of Nanoceramics and Nanoceramic composite
- A.K.Dubey and B.Basu,
Pulsed Electric Stimulation and Surface charge induced cell growth on multistage spark Plasma Sintered Hydroxyapatite-Barium Titanate Piezobiocomponate,
J. American Ceramic Society,
481-489, 97 (2013)
- A. Sabareeswaran, B. Basu, S. J. Shenoy, Z. Jaffer, N. Saha and A. Stamboulis,
Early osseointegration of a strontium containing glass ceramic in a rabbit model,
9278-9286, 34 (2013)
- Jaba Mitra, Shilpee Jain, Ashutosh Sharmaand Bikramjit Basu,
Patterned growth and differentitation of neural cells on polymer derived carbon structures in vitro,
140-155, 65 (2013)
- Alok Kumar, K. Biswas and Bikramjit Basu,
Fretting wear behavior of hydroxyapatite-Titanium composites in simulated body fluid, supplemented with 5g/L bovine Serum Albumin,
Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics,
404004-404013, 46 (2013)
- Indu Bajpai, Kantesh Balani and Bikramjit Basu,
Spark Plasma Sintered HA-Fe3O4 based Multifunctional Magnetic Biocomposites,
J. American Ceramic Society,
2100-2108, 96 (2013)
- Shilpee Jain, Ashutosh Sharma and Bikramjit Basu,
Vertical electric field stimulated neuronal cell functionality on porous amorphous carbon electrodes,
9252-9263, 34 (2013)
- A. K. Dubey, Anumol E. A., K. Balani and B. Basu,
Multifunctional properties of multi-stage spark plasma sintered HA-BaTiO3 based piezobiocomposites for bone replacement applications,
J. Am. Cer. Soc.,
3753-3759, 96 (2013)
- Jaba Mitra, Garima Tripathi, Ashutosh Sharma and Bikramjit Basu,Scaffolds for bone tissue engineering: role of surface patterning on osteoblast response
Royal Society of Chemistry Advances,
11073-11094, 3 (2013)