Brief Bio :
Tiju did his graduate education at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Scientific Research (JNCASR), and Cornell University. After completing his PhD from Cornell, he moved to Canada. During his stint there, he worked on an industry-academia collaboration that involved University of Toronto, Memorial University of Newfoundland and Lumentra Inc. After that, he was awarded the INSPIRE Faculty fellowship by the Department of Science and Technology. He works in this capacity at the Materials Research Centre. He enjoys having scientific discourse in a multidisciplinary environment, and enjoys MRC. Besides technology and science, he likes music, art, and walking in the woods.
Research Interests :
- Wide band gap materials
- Designing materials for optical and electronic applications
- Eco-friendly materials synthesis
- Solar energy materials
- Hybrid materials
- Tiju Thomas, Shawn Chatman, Jake Wells, Lisa Emberley, Muhammad Asim Rasheed, Kristin M. Poduska, "Lateral heterogeneities in ZnO electrodeposits and their impact on electrical and
optical properties", ECS Solid State Letters (submitted)
- Payam Bagheri, Tiju Thomasn, Anand Yethiraj, Kristin M. Poduska, "Structural colors in spin coated colloidal crystals", American Journal of Physics (under preparation)
- Tiju Thomas, Xiaomei Guo, Junxia Shi, Lori Lepak, MVS Chandrashekhar, Kewen Li, Francis DiSalvo and Michael G Spencer, Gallium nitride powders: mechanism of ammonothermal synthesis, ball-mill assisted rare earth doping and uniform electrophoretic deposition, Journal of Crystal Growth, 316, 90-96 (2011).
- K. Wisniewski, W. Jadwisieczak, Tiju Thomas, M. Spencer, High pressure luminescence studies of europium doped GaN, Journal of Rare Earths 27, 667 (2009).
- Tiju Thomas, Xiaomei Guo, MVS Chandrashekhar, Carl B. Poitras, William Shaff, Mark Dreibelbis, Jesse Reiherzer, Kewen Li, Francis J. DiSalvo, Michal Lipson and M.G. Spencer, Purification and mechanical nanosizing of Eu-doped GaN, Journal of Crystal Growth, 311, 4402-4407 (2009).
- Tiju Thomas, MVS Chandrashekhar, Carl B. Poitras, Junxia Shi, Jesse C. Reiherzer, Francis J. DiSalvo, Michal Lipson, and M. G. Spencer, Photoluminescence enhancement in Eu doped GaN powder by oxidative passivation of the surface, MRS Proceedings, 1111, 1111-D04-01 (2008).
- Tiju Thomas, Dhananjai Pandey, Umesh V. Waghmare, Soft modes at the stacking faults in SiC crystals: First principles calculations, Physical Review B, 77, 121203 (Rapid Communication), (2008).